Definition of Limenitis archippus
1. Noun. Showy American butterfly resembling the monarch but smaller.
Generic synonyms: Brush-footed Butterfly, Four-footed Butterfly, Nymphalid, Nymphalid Butterfly
Group relationships: Genus Limenitis, Limenitis
Limenitis Archippus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Limenitis Archippus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Limenitis Archippus
Literary usage of Limenitis archippus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Butterflies of the Eastern United States: For the Use of Classes in by George Hazen French (1914)
"Upper side fulvous, under side paler, limenitis archippus, (74) Both surfaces mahogany-brown, Limenitis Bros, (75) 69. A. golden or silver spot on under ..."
2. Catalogue of Diurnal Lepidoptera Described by Fabricius in the Collection of by Arthur Gardiner Butler (1869)
"... to correct a supposed error in the earlier part of his ' Ent. Syst.,' where he had applied the name "Astyanax" to a Papilio. 8. limenitis archippus. ..."
3. The Journal of Heredity by American Genetic Association (1916)
"... birds after they have had one taste; above is the Viceroy (limenitis archippus) belonging to a totally different family which is supposed to be edible. ..."
4. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1915)
"... var. proserpina Edw. limenitis archippus Cram. Satyrus alope var. nephele Kirby. LYCAENIDAE. ..."