Definition of Limenitis arthemis
1. Noun. North American butterfly with blue-black wings crossed by a broad white band.
Generic synonyms: Brush-footed Butterfly, Four-footed Butterfly, Nymphalid, Nymphalid Butterfly
Group relationships: Genus Limenitis, Limenitis
Limenitis Arthemis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Limenitis Arthemis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Limenitis Arthemis
Literary usage of Limenitis arthemis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1885)
"Moreover, who that has ever attempted to capture a limenitis arthemis, but has learned to his cost, that though a thing of beauty, and its possession a joy ..."
2. Annual Report by Entomological Society of Ontario, Ontario. Dept. of Agriculture (1884)
"OBSERVATIONS ON limenitis arthemis. By Mrs. С E. Heustis, Parrsboro', NS I was much interested in an article in Vol. xiii., of the Canadian Entomologist, ..."
3. A Manual of North American Butterflies by Charles Johnson Maynard (1891)
"limenitis arthemis DRU. WHITE-BANDED BUTTERFLY. PLATE VII, 2. Size, medium. Above, dark brown, both wings crossed by a wide band of white, with two white ..."
4. Papilio by New York Entomological Club (1881)
"For two years I have kept this example without describing, hoping that others might come in, especially in Arizona collections. limenitis arthemis. aberr. ..."
5. The Butterflies of the Eastern United States: For the Use of Classes in by George Hazen French (1914)
"Wings without broad white bands, Limenitis Ursula, (72) Both wings with broad white bands, limenitis arthemis, (73) 68. Upper side fulvous, under side paler ..."