Definition of Lincoln
1. Noun. 16th President of the United States; saved the Union during the American Civil War and emancipated the slaves; was assassinated by Booth (1809-1865).
Generic synonyms: Attorney, Lawyer, Chief Executive, President, President Of The United States, United States President
Derivative terms: Lincolnian
2. Noun. Capital of the state of Nebraska; located in southeastern Nebraska; site of the University of Nebraska.
Terms within: University Of Nebraska
Generic synonyms: State Capital
Group relationships: Cornhusker State, Ne, Nebraska
3. Noun. Long-wooled mutton sheep originally from Lincolnshire.
Definition of Lincoln
1. Proper noun. A placename, originally in Lincolnshire, England. ¹
2. Proper noun. (surname A=An English from=Old English) ¹
3. Proper noun. Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States during the Civil War. ¹
4. Proper noun. (surnames male given name) of American usage, originally in honor of Abraham Lincoln. ¹
5. Proper noun. A brand of American automobile. ¹
6. Proper noun. An English breed of sheep. ¹
7. Proper noun. The capital of Nebraska. ¹
8. Proper noun. A county in many U.S. states. ¹
9. Proper noun. (US informal) A five-dollar bill. ¹
10. Proper noun. (aviation) A high altitude, long range bomber based on the Avro Lancaster. ¹
11. Adjective. Pertaining to Abe Lincoln, as Lincoln Logs. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lincoln
Literary usage of Lincoln
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1911)
"Addresses delivered at the lincoln dinners of the Republican club of the city of New .... Bernhardt С. Indian raids in lincoln county, Christian Bernhardt. ..."
2. The Cambridge History of American Literature by William Peterfield Trent (1921)
"Barrage, HS Gettysburg and lincoln. 1906. Burt, SW lincoln on his Own Story-Telling. ... Carpenter, FB Six Months at the White House with Abraham lincoln. ..."
3. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept, Southern Pacific Company (1912)
"lincoln As I Knew Him By CHARLES S. ZANE FORMERLY JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT op UTAH ... IN those most interesting years in the life of President lincoln, ..."
4. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1916)
"New Repub 9:101-2 N 25 '16 Abraham lincoln: some recollections and comparisons. ... Harp Address on the occasion of the acceptance of the lincoln birthplace ..."
5. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"DANIEL FISH, lincoln, Benjamin, American general: n. Hingham, Mass., 24 Jan. 1733; d. there, 9 May 1810. Until the age of 40 he followed the calling of a ..."
6. The American Historical Review by American Historical Association (1903)
"Richard Henry Dana wrote to Charles Francis Adams, March 9, 1863, of lincoln : " He seems to me to be fonder of details than of principles, of tithing the ..."