Definition of Linear measure
1. Noun. A unit of measurement of length.
Generic synonyms: Unit, Unit Of Measurement
Specialized synonyms: Long Measure, Astronomy Unit, Metric Linear Unit, Nautical Linear Unit, In, Inch, Foot, Ft, Footer, Pace, Yard, Yarder, Perch, Pole, Rod, Furlong, International Mile, Land Mile, Mi, Mile, Stat Mi, Statute Mile, Miler, 880 Yards, Half Mile, 440 Yards, Quarter Mile, League, Ligne, Nail, Archine, Coss, Kos, Vara, Verst, Cable, Cable Length, Cable's Length, Chain, Cubit, Digit, Finger, Finger's Breadth, Fingerbreadth, Fistmele, Body Length, Handbreadth, Handsbreadth, Head, Lea, Li, Link, Mesh, Mil, Mil, Mile, Swedish Mile, Mile, Roman Mile, Roman Pace, Geometric Pace, Military Pace, Palm, Span, Survey Mile, Fathom, Fthm, Point, Em, Pica, Pica Em, En, Nut, Cicero
Linear Measure Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Linear Measure Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Linear Measure
Literary usage of Linear measure
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Theory of Functions of a Real Variable and the Theory of Fourier's Series by Ernest William Hobson (1907)
"When G is measurable in accordance with Jordan's definition of a linear measure, the function f(x) is integrable in rb (a, b), and If(x) dx is the measure ..."
2. An Introduction to Astronomy by Forest Ray Moulton (1906)
"Relations between Arc and linear measure. — The apparent distances between the stars and the diameters of such objects as the sun will be expressed in ..."
3. New University Arithmetic: Embracing the Science of Numbers, and Their by Charles Davies (1856)
"linear measure. 407. This measure is used to measure distances, lengths, breadths, heights and depths. 12 inches make 3 feet 51 yards or 16^ feet - 40 rods ..."
4. Introduction to the National Arithmetic: On the Inductive System, Combining by Benjamin Greenleaf (1870)
"The yard is the standard unit of linear measure adopted bv the United States ... A metre, the unit of linear measure, as established by the French ..."
5. Complete Arithmetic by Bruce Mervellon Watson, Charles Edward White (1911)
"linear measure 403. The standard unit of linear measure in the metric ... What denomination in the English linear measure is most nearly like the meter ? 2. ..."
6. Life and Work at the Great Pyramid During the Months of January, February by Charles Piazzi Smyth (1867)
"... with leading reference to the Pyramid numbers of 5 and 10,—and finishing with 4, in imitation of the four sides of the base :— PYRAMID linear measure. ..."