Definition of Little sioux river
1. Noun. A river that rises in southwestern Minnesota and flows southwestward to the Missouri River in western Iowa.
Generic synonyms: River
Little Sioux River Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Little Sioux River Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Little Sioux River
Literary usage of Little sioux river
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of the Expedition Under the Command of Lewis and Clark: To the by Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, Elliott Coues, Thomas Jefferson (1893)
"Two miles beyond this [Little Sioux] river is a long island which we ... A meridian altitude near the Little Sioux river made the latitude 41° 42'34". ..."
2. History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive (1882)
"The principal streams are Floyd River, West Fork of little sioux river, West Branch of Floyd River, and Broken Kettle, Perry and Willow t"reeks. ..."
3. Sketches of Frontier and Indian Life on the Upper Missouri & Great Plains by Joseph Henry Taylor (1897)
"... along the Little Sioux river, as well. Some time previous to this treaty, ... band betook themselves fearlessly to the Little Sioux river valley, ..."
4. Our Western Empire by Linus Pierpont Brockett (1882)
"Little Sioux river is one of the most important streams of Northwestern Iowa. It rises in the vicinity of Spirit and Okoboji lakes, near the Minnesota line, ..."
5. Notes on the Northwest, Or Valley of the Upper Mississippi by Wm J A Bradford (1846)
"It has been heretofore designated as the little sioux river, and has its origin from a group of lakes, the most important of which is called by the Sioux ..."
6. Report on the Geological Survey of the State of Iowa: Embracing the Results by James Hall, Josiah Dwight Whitney (1858)
"... 236 609 Summit between Coon and Little Sioux 250 849 Little Sioux river 203 504 Summit between Little Sioux and Floyds 271 819 Floyds river 515 Missouri ..."
7. Report on the Geological Survey of the State of Iowa, to the Thirteenth by Iowa Geological Survey, Charles Abiathar White (1870)
"... Summit between Coon and Little Sioux rivers above datum line 908 Little Sioux river at Cherokee village above datum line 565 Summit between Little Sioux ..."