Definition of Lobotes
1. Noun. Type genus of the Lobotidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Lobotidae, Lobotidae
Member holonyms: Tripletail
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lobotes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lobotes
Literary usage of Lobotes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1859)
"lobotes, Cuv. Regne Anim.; Cur. $r Vol. vp 318. Form of the body and of the vertical fins rather elevated. Eye rather small. Snout blunt, with the lower jaw ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"Among the former we place the following genera: lobotes, Cuv. A short muzzle; lower jaw prominent; body elevated; the posterior angle of its dorsal and anal ..."
3. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"THE TRIFLE-TAIL (lobotes surinamensis) lobotes surinamensis. The Triple-tail. Body oblong, deep, compressed and elevated; head 3; depth 2; ..."
4. Bass, Pike, Perch and Other Game Fishes of America by James Alexander Henshall (1919)
"A landing-net should always be used for any kind of fishing with the fly. THE TRIPLE-TAIL (lobotes surinamensis) ..."
5. The Fishes of Panama Bay by Charles Henry Gilbert, Edwin Chapin Starks (1904)
"lobotes pacificus Gilbert. FLATI XIV, Fio. 28. lobotes ... The lobotes of the Pacific Coast of Central America is distinguished from the other known ..."
6. Report of the Annual Meeting (1846)
"The pectoral is clay- coloured; the ventrals and spinous dorsal clouded with neutral tint. Length 12 inches. Hob. China seas. Canton. lobotes ..."