Definition of Lunar month
1. Noun. The period between successive new moons (29.531 days).
Definition of Lunar month
1. Noun. a period from one new moon until the next. ¹
2. Noun. a synodic month of approximately 29.53 days, measured from a lunar phase until the return of that same phase. ¹
3. Noun. a sidereal month of approximately 27.32 days, the length of time taken by the moon in its orbit about the Earth to return to the same point as viewed against the background of stars. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lunar Month Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lunar Month Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lunar Month
Literary usage of Lunar month
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Commentaries on the Laws of England: In Four Books by William Blackstone, William Draper Lewis (1902)
"Where a statute speaks of a year, it shall be computed by the whole twelve months, according to the calendar, and not by a lunar month, (Cro. Jac. ..."
2. Proceedings by Philadelphia County Medical Society (1888)
"IN the management of delivery prior to the seventh lunar month, the welfare of the mother is alone considered. The non-viability of the embryo or foetus ..."
3. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1912)
"The Hebrews employed the lunar month, but from time to time intercalated a month, in this matter following the Babylonians, and thus the beginning of the ..."
4. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"A lunar month may be regarded as ending either with the ... Like the lunar year, the lunar month begins for religious purposes with its first lunar day, ..."
5. Trukese-English Dictionary by Ward Hunt Goodenough, Hiroshi Sugita (1980)
"26th night of the lunar month ("its brow under it"). aara(nu. ... 16th night of the lunar month. ening(nu.): 3rd night of the lunar month ("glimpsed"). ..."
6. The Digest of English Case Law: Containing the Reported Decisions of the by John Mews (1898)
"In legal matters, a month means a lunar month : but in commercial matters, a month always means a calendar month. Hart v. ..."
7. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1888)
"It is clear that, taking the sidereal lunar month as a standard of reference, any other month will be greater or less according as the point which defines ..."