Definition of Marvel-of-Peru
1. Noun. Common garden plant of North America having fragrant red or purple or yellow or white flowers that open in late afternoon.
Generic synonyms: Four O'clock
Lexicographical Neighbors of Marvel-of-Peru
Literary usage of Marvel-of-Peru
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Paxton's Magazine of Botany, and Register of Flowering Plants by Joseph Paxton (1836)
"Flowers large, showy, resembling, for length of tube, those of the Marvel of Peru, fragrant, solitary, stalked, axillary. Flower stalks clothed with soft ..."
2. Dynevor Terrace: Or, The Clue of Life by Charlotte Mary Yonge (1857)
"THE MARVEL OF PERU. Turn, Angelina, ever dear, My charmer, turn to see Thy own, thy long-lost Edwin here, ..."
3. Favourite Flowers of Garden and Greenhouse by Edward Step (1897)
"MARVEL OF PERU but with both calyx and corolla inflated. ... Mirabilis Jala/pa, the Marvel of Peru, has been an ornament of British gardens for more than ..."
4. The American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1883)
"... by bribes or flattery, made him MARVEL OF PERU, a garden name for plants of tho ... Marvel of Peru."
5. Hortus Kewensis; Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1810)
"White Marvel of Peru. S Jalapa flore ex purpureo et lúteo mixto. ... 129- Yellow striped Marvel of Peru. Nat. of both Indies. Cult. ..."
6. The London Journal of Botany by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1848)
"... Marvel of Peru coloured. Safflower petals, lime juice, and some indigo. No. CIV. ... Marvel of Peru ..."
7. Flora Domestica, Or, The Portable Flower-garden: With Directions for the by Elizabeth Kent, Leigh Hunt (1831)
"THE Marvel of Peru, though first brought to us from that place, is also a native of Africa, China, the East and West Indies ..."