Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Matterful Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Matterful
Literary usage of Matterful
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Dictionary of National Biography by Sidney Lee (1908)
"... pretty- manner'd, matterful creature ! Sucking from every flower, making a flower of everything ! His diction all Latin, and his thoughts all English ! ..."
2. Allen's Synonyms and Antonyms by Frederic Sturges Allen (1920)
"... cuppy;—all but "pitted" and "cupped" learned or tech. 2. Referring to literature, etc.: substantial, meaty, matterful ..."
3. The Dial edited by Francis Fisher Browne (1892)
"... scholarly, and matterful volume ; and can only add that the essay> on the " Life and Works of Schiller ..."
4. The Romantic Movement in English Poetry by Arthur Symons (1909)
"It was in this brief, packed,' matterful' way, full of pleasant surprises, that his favourite poets wrote; the metre is Wither's, with some of the woven ..."
5. Chambers's Biographical Dictionary: The Great of All Times and Nations by Francis Hindes Groome, David Patrick (1898)
"Lamb, more happily, remarks : ' What a sweet, unpretending, pretty-mannered, matterful creature ! Sucking from every flower, making a flower of everything. ..."