Definition of Mean value
1. Noun. An average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n.
Category relationships: Statistics
Generic synonyms: Average, Norm
Specialized synonyms: Arithmetic Mean, Expectation, Expected Value, First Moment, Geometric Mean, Harmonic Mean
Derivative terms: Mean
Mean Value Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mean Value Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mean Value
Literary usage of Mean value
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature (1907)
"Let A receive an increment ft; or conceive a new error whose mean value <i = 0, and whose mean square = ¡h ; we have (40) Let us now suppose in (37) that ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"mean value. If n quantities are commensurable, the sum of their units divided by n, the number of the quantities, is the arithmetical mean and is ..."
3. Elements of the Differential and Integral Calculus by William Anthony Granville, Percey Franklyn Smith (1904)
"Therefore the slope of the chord EB _/(»)-/(«) and the Theorem of mean value simply asserts that there is at least one point on the curve between A and В ..."
4. Introduction to the Theory of Fourier's Series and Integrals by Horatio Scott Carslaw (1921)
"The mean value Theorems for the Infinite Integral. 57. ... The Second Theorem of mean value. LEMMA. Let If (x)dx be a convergent integral, ..."
5. The Theory of Functions of a Real Variable and the Theory of Fourier's Series by Ernest William Hobson (1907)
"APPLICATION OF THE SECOND mean value THEOREM. 449. ... This method was first employed by Bonnet, who used his form of the mean value theorem, ..."
6. Encyclopaedia Britannica, a Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"When the ground was covered by snow the mean value of A was only 42, ... His mean value for November and December was 12Q, while his mean For May and June ..."
7. Elements of the Differential and Integral Calculus by William Anthony Granville (1904)
"mean value of This is defined as follows: mean value of ф(х) from x = a to ж = Ь /' •Ai Since from the figure С •Ja ba this means that if we construct on ..."