Definition of Melursus
1. Noun. Sloth bears; in some classifications not a separate genus from Ursus.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Ursidae, Ursidae
Member holonyms: Melursus Ursinus, Sloth Bear, Ursus Ursinus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Melursus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Melursus
Literary usage of Melursus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of Carnivorous, Pachydermatous, and Edentate Mammalia in the by John Edward Gray (1869)
"Front of the palate of the skull bent up. 5. melursus. Head elongate. ... melursus, Meger; Gray, PZS 1864, p. 699. " They never have more than four incisors ..."
2. Natural History of the Mammalia of India and Ceylon by Robert Armitage Sterndale (1884)
"The next species constitutes the genus melursus of Meyer or ... URSUS (melursus) LABIATUS. The Common Indian Sloth Bear. NATIVE NAMES. ..."
3. A Geographical History of Mammals by Richard Lydekker (1896)
"... which is the earliest known representative of the true bears; and the Malayan species may be FIG. 62. INDIAN SLOTH-BEAR (melursus ursinus). ..."
4. Leaves from an Indian Jungle: Gathered During Thirteen Years of a Jungle by Alexander Inglis Robertson Glasfurd (1903)
"... melursus " DIABOLICUS," Ursus labiatus^ alias melursus ursinus as he is now called the common "Sloth" bear of India, appears to be an animal of varied ..."
5. Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta by John Anderson, William Lutley Sclater, Indian Museum (1891)
"melursus labiatus, Gray Cat. Cam. Mamm., p. 237 (1869). melursus ursinus, Blanford Mammals, p. ... 211] is distinctly allied to melursus ursinus. ..."