Definition of Mental illness
1. Noun. Any disease of the mind; the psychological state of someone who has emotional or behavioral problems serious enough to require psychiatric intervention.
Generic synonyms: Mental Condition, Mental State, Psychological Condition, Psychological State
Specialized synonyms: Megalomania, Insanity, Psychosis
Antonyms: Mental Health
Derivative terms: Psychopathic
Definition of Mental illness
1. Noun. The property of being mentally ill; mental disorders taken as a whole. ¹
2. Noun. A mental disorder. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Mental illness
1. A broadly inclusive term, generally denoting one or all of the following: 1) a disease of the brain, with predominant behavioural symptoms, as in paresis or acute alcoholism; 2) a disease of the "mind" or personality, evidenced by abnormal behaviour, as in hysteria or schizophrenia; also called mental or emotional disease, disturbance, or disorder, or behaviour disorder, any psychiatric illness listed in Current Medical Information and Terminology of the American Medical Association or in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association. See: behaviour disorder. (05 Mar 2000)
Mental Illness Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mental Illness Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mental Illness
Literary usage of Mental illness
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Treatment of Drug Dependent Individuals with Comorbid Mental Disorders edited by Lisa S. Onken, Jack D. Blaine, Sander Genser, Arthur M. Horton (1998)
"The Course and Treatment of Substance Use Disorder in Persons With Severe Mental Illness Kim T. Mueser, Robert E. Drake, and Keith M. Miles There is now a ..."
2. Handbook of Severe Disability: A Text for Rehabilitation Counselors, Other edited by Walter C. Stolov, Michael R. Clowers (2000)
"... provide a brief survey of some of the main categories of mental illness, the characteristics of psychiatric clients most important to the rehabilitation ..."
3. Abandoned to the State: Cruelty and Neglect in Russian Orphanages by Kathleen Hunt (1999)
"... for the Protection of Persons With mental illness and the Improvement of Mental Health Care Principles for the protection of persons with mental illness ..."
4. Continuity of Offender Treatment for Substance Use Disorders from by Gary Field (1998)
"Offenders With mental illness Studies indicate that coexisting substance use disorders and mental health disorders occur in approximately 3 to 11 percent of ..."
5. Evaluation of Glove Bag Containment in Asbestos Removal by Bruce A. Hollett, Phillip A. Froelich, Paul E. Caplan, Thomas C. Cooper, Stanley A. Shulman (1990)
"Of particular importance, people with severe mental illness were especially vulnerable to substance use disorders. For example, those with schizophrenia ..."
6. Oecd Economic Surveys: United Kingdom by OECD. (2005)
"According to the World Health Organization, mental illness or addiction causes nearly half of all disability in Europe and North America (WHO, 2002). ..."
7. Health Status of Minorities & Low Income Groups by DIANE Publishing Company, Dept. of Health and Human Services, United States (1991)
"Aside from studies carried out in limited geographical areas, the EGA is the only source of population-based epidemiologie data on mental illness; therefore ..."