Definition of Mercator's projection
1. Noun. A map projection of the earth onto a cylinder; areas appear greater the farther they are from the equator.
Mercator's Projection Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mercator's Projection Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mercator's Projection
Literary usage of Mercator's projection
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Numerical Tables and Constants in Elementary Science by Sydney Lupton (1884)
"0n Mercator-s projection 1' of Longitude is everywhere 8086 feet, and on Galle-s projection 1- of Longitude is everywhere 4311 feet, In each case the ..."
2. Mathematical Instruments: Their Construction, Adjustment, Testing, and Use by John Fry Heather (1871)
"... or of secant of the latitude to the radius; and as in Mercator-s projection, in which the meridians are represented by parallel straight lines, ..."
3. A Treatise on Surveying: Comprising the Theory and the Practice by William Mitchell Gillespie, Cady Staley (1897)
"Mercator-s Projection is a modification of the cylindrical. The cylinder is conceived to be tangent at the equator. Then the equator will be developed into ..."
4. Social Aspects of the Italian Revolution, in a Series of Letters from by Theodosia Garrow Trollope (1861)
"World on Mercator.s Projection 5. Europe. —2 Maps. 6. British Isles. 7. S. England and Wales—2 Maps. 9. Scotland—General. 10. Ireland—General. 11. ..."
5. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1883)
"Mercator s Projection, Equatorial Scale 16e° to an inch. F. Le-B. Bedwell, RN, del. Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Company, Limited, London, 1883. ..."
6. Montaigne the Essayist: A Biography by Bayle St. John (1858)
"LIST OF THE MAPS. 1, 2. World in Hemispheres — 2 Sheet. S4, 55. Maps. 3, 4. World on Mercator"s Projection ..."