Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Messman Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Messman
Literary usage of Messman
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Heart of the Antarctic: Being the Story of the British Antarctic by Ernest Henry Shackleton (1909)
"At 8.30 AM all hands were called, special attention being paid to turning out the messman for the day, and after some minutes of luxurious half-wakefulness, ..."
2. Scottish Law Magazine, and Sheriff Court Reporter by Scotland Sheriff Courts (1864)
"4th, It will be kept in view that the messman was not the servant of the officers, ordering supplies directly for them, but the contractor furnishing them ..."
3. Punch by Mark Lemon, Henry Mayhew, Tom Taylor, Shirley Brooks, Francis Cowley Burnand, Owen Seaman (1850)
"We wonder that the advertisement did not add an intimation that " the messman must be in quarters a week before he begins to cook himself. ..."
4. More Mornings at Bow Street: A New Collection of Humorous and Entertaining by John Wight (1827)
"High words ensued; and, a crowd collecting about the door, one of the shopmen ran out for a constable to come and quell the ex-messman. ..."
5. From Libau to Tsushima: A Narrative of the Voyage of Admiral Rojdestvensky's by Evgenīĭ Sigizmundovich Politovskīĭ (1908)
"The messman left the ship at Vigo, and the former cook became messman. Every one grumbled at him. At last it was decided to get rid of him. ..."
6. From Libau to Tsushima: A Narrative of the Voyage of Admiral Rojdestvensky's by Evgenīĭ Sigizmundovich Politovskīĭ, Frederick Rowlandson Godfrey (1906)
"The messman left the ship at Vigo, and the former cook became messman. Every one grumbled at him. ... The messman will be put on shore at Madagascar. ..."
7. The General Principles of the Law of Evidence: In Their Application to the by Frank Sumner Rice (1894)
"messman (NY) 1 Cent. LJ 121, which has been on trial before Judge Blatchford, an interesting point of evidence was decided. According to the Herald's report ..."