Definition of Metacarpophalangeal joint
1. Noun. A joint of a finger when the fist is closed.
Generic synonyms: Articulatio Synovialis, Diarthrosis, Synovial Joint
Group relationships: Finger
Derivative terms: Knuckle
Medical Definition of Metacarpophalangeal joint
1. The articulation between a metacarpal bone and a phalanx. (12 Dec 1998)
Metacarpophalangeal Joint Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Metacarpophalangeal Joint Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Metacarpophalangeal Joint
Literary usage of Metacarpophalangeal joint
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Surgery, Its Principles and Practice by William Williams Keen (1909)
"Disarticulation of Index tinker at metacarpophalangeal joint. ... The landmarks are the metacarpophalangeal joint-line, the middle of the first phalanx, ..."
2. Infections of the Hand: A Guide to the Surgical Treatment of Acute and by Allen Buckner Kanavel (1916)
"In the case of the metacarpophalangeal joint, however, there is more fibrous tissue intervening between the tendon sheath and the joint and the adjoining ..."
3. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1907)
"and metacarpophalangeal joint of the left thumb. The joint symptoms manifested themselves simultaneously on December 6, in the three joints described; ..."