Definition of Michigan
1. Noun. A midwestern state in north central United States in the Great Lakes region.
Terms within: Mackinac Bridge, Isle Royal National Park, Alpena, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Motor City, Motown, Flint, Grand Rapids, Houghton, Jackson, Capital Of Michigan, Lansing, Marquette, Monroe, Traverse City, Detroit River, Grand River, Lake Saint Clair, Lake St. Clair, Lower Peninsula, Upper Peninsula
Group relationships: Middle West, Midwest, Midwestern United States, America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Generic synonyms: American State
2. Noun. The 3rd largest of the Great Lakes; the largest freshwater lake entirely within the United States borders.
3. Noun. A gambling card game in which chips are placed on the ace and king and queen and jack of separate suits (taken from a separate deck); a player plays the lowest card of a suit in his hand and successively higher cards are played until the sequence stops; the player who plays a card matching one in the layout wins all the chips on that card.
Definition of Michigan
1. Proper noun. A (USstate) Capital: Lansing. Largest city: Detroit. ¹
2. Proper noun. Lake Michigan, one of the Great Lakes ¹
3. Noun. (ice hockey) A deke consisting of lifting the puck with the stick and throwing it under the top corner of the goal, while skating behind the net. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Michigan
Literary usage of Michigan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Constitution of the United States of America: With an Alphabetical by William Hickey, United States (1854)
"A message from the President to Congress with documents and map relating to the boundary between Ohio and michigan, was received January 12,1836. ..."
2. Report (1904)
"Walter B. Barrows, michigan Agricultural College, Agricultural College ... University of michigan, Ann Arbor. Henry Newton Hornbeck, Agricultural College. ..."
3. Report (1905)
"Notes on the Reptiles and Batrachians of Eaton County, michigan. Wash., Vol. ... Catalogue of the Reptiles and Amphibians of michigan. Science News, Vol. ..."
4. Report (1904)
"The movement which finally resulted in the organization of The michigan Academy of Science was first started in 1892. In response to a feeling that it was ..."
5. A History of the People of the United States: From the Revolution to the by John Bach McMaster (1906)
"michigan therefore has no right to ask admission as a State till Congress has ordained just what her bounds shall be, for it is not for michigan, ..."
6. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"He was graduated AB at the University of michigan in 1859; AM. 1862; SB, Harvard, 1865; MS, University of Chicago, 1875; (hon. Ph.D., University of michigan ..."