Definition of Missouri
1. Noun. A midwestern state in central United States; a border state during the American Civil War, Missouri was admitted to the Confederacy without actually seceding from the Union.
Group relationships: Middle West, Midwest, Midwestern United States, America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Generic synonyms: American State
Group relationships: Confederacy, Confederate States, Confederate States Of America, Dixie, Dixieland, South
Terms within: Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Hannibal, Independence, Capital Of Missouri, Jefferson City, Kansas City, Poplar Bluff, Saint Joseph, St. Joseph, Gateway To The West, Saint Louis, St. Louis, Sedalia, Springfield, Osage, Osage River, Saint Francis, Saint Francis River, St. Francis, St. Francis River, White, White River
2. Noun. The longest river in the United States; arises in Montana and flows southeastward to become a tributary of the Mississippi at Saint Louis. "The Missouri and Mississippi Rivers together form the third longest river in the world"
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Generic synonyms: River
3. Noun. A member of the Siouan people formerly inhabiting the valley of the Missouri river in Missouri.
4. Noun. A dialect of the Chiwere language spoken by the Missouri.
Definition of Missouri
1. Proper noun. A (USstate). Capital Jefferson City; largest city: Kansas City: Postal abbreviation: '''MO''' ¹
2. Proper noun. (rivers) The longest river in the United States, flowing from Montana to become a tributary of the Mississippi at Saint Louis. ¹
3. Proper noun. A Native American tribe that originally lived in the Great Lakes region of United States. ¹
4. Proper noun. (historical) An organized territory in the United States during the nineteenth century. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Missouri Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Missouri
Literary usage of Missouri
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Constitution of the United States of America: With an Alphabetical by William Hickey, United States (1854)
"An act providing for the government of the territory of missouri was passed and approved June 4,1812, by which it was provided " That the territory ..."
2. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"In 1907 the Federal authorities ranked missouri the chief lead-producing state of ... According to the United States geological survey of 1907, missouri and ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1914)
"The exceptional or anomalous course of the present missouri is shown by the ... The missouri at Ft. Stevenson, where it turns sharply to the southeast, ..."
4. The Phi Delta Kappan by Phi Delta Kappa (1916)
"missouri On Friday, November 5 we arrived in Kansas City to attend the meeting of the missouri State Teachers' Association. We had been in the city only a ..."
5. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1894)
"The three hypotheses as to the origin of the Boulder Drift and Loamy Clay in missouri, north of the missouri River, are briefly styled by JE Todd, ..."
6. Reports ... 2d Series by International Labour Office, United States Tariff Commission (1915)
"The Stratigraphy of the Pennsylvanian Series in missouri. By Henry Hinds and FC Greene. CHAPTER I. THE PENNSYLVANIAN SERIES IN missouri. ..."