Definition of Mobula
1. Noun. Type genus of the Mobulidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Mobulidae, Mobulidae
Member holonyms: Devil Ray, Mobula Hypostoma
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mobula
Literary usage of Mobula
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Archives of Surgery (1896)
"mobula : WHAT WAS IT ? MK. WILLIAM WALLACE was, during the early part of the present century, surgeon to the "Infirmary for the Treatment of Diseases of the ..."
2. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"Manta hamiltoni is a name given to a sea-devil of the Gulf of California. The European species mobula edentula reaches a similarly enormous size, and mobula ..."
3. Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries by United States Bureau of Fisheries, Bureau of Fisheries, United States (1916)
"Teeth on both jaws; mouth inferior mobula. aa. Teeth on lower jaw only; mouth anterior Mania. Genus mobula Rafinesque. 36. ..."
4. Popular Science Monthly (1901)
"... in the devil rays or mantas of the tropical seas, Mania and mobula being the most specialized genera and among the very largest of the fishes. ..."