2. Adjective. capable of speaking only a single language ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Monoglot
1. a person speaking or writing only one language [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Monoglot Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Monoglot
Literary usage of Monoglot
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Thinker: A Review of World-wide Christian Thought (1895)
"The mere work of turning a Greek lexicon into Welsh would be a boon to the " monoglot Welshman ; " but he will find in these footnotes the mature ..."
2. Report of the Proceedings by Church congress (1889)
"On the other hand, in some parts of Wales, the area of which is steadily decreasing, we find a monoglot Welsh-speaking population. But the large majority of ..."
3. A History of Wales from the Earliest Times to the Edwardian Conquest by John Edward Lloyd (1912)
"... notice is that the monoglot inscriptions in Latin capitals are not separated from the Latin ones on bilingual stones by any well-marked characteristics, ..."
4. The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion by Cymmrodorion Society, CYMMRODORION SOCIETY. (1896)
"In short, one can see several loopholes through which a little confusion might force itself in, and prevent the monoglot reader or hearer of the translation ..."
5. A Study in Nationality by John Vyrnwy Morgan (1911)
"The census of 1901 shows the monoglot English to be 50 per cent, of the population, and the bilinguals to be 3 5 per cent., thus leaving the monoglot Welsh ..."
6. Celtic Folklore: Welsh and Manx by JOHN. RHYS (1901)
"In short, one could see several loopholes through which a little confusion might force itself in, and prevent the monoglot reader or hearer of the ..."
7. Life and Times of Griffith Jones: Sometime Rector of Llanddowror by David Jones (1902)
"... advancement of the monoglot Welshman. But how was it faced ? Was it by carefully selecting for their spiritual guidance and oversight the best material ..."