Definition of Mop up
1. Noun. A concluding action.
Specialized synonyms: Consummation, Consummation, Finish, Finishing, Finalisation, Finalization, Follow-through, Follow-through, Graduation
Generic synonyms: Conclusion, Ending, Termination
Derivative terms: Close, Close, Complete, Culminate, Wind Up
2. Verb. To wash or wipe with or as if with a mop. "He mopped her forehead with a towel"
Specialized synonyms: Swab, Swob, Sponge
Generic synonyms: Absorb, Draw, Imbibe, Soak Up, Sop Up, Suck, Suck Up, Take In, Take Up
Derivative terms: Mop, Mopper, Mopping
3. Verb. Defeat thoroughly. "The fighter managed to mop up his opponent"; "He mopped up the floor with his opponents"
Generic synonyms: Beat, Beat Out, Crush, Shell, Trounce, Vanquish
Derivative terms: Whipping
4. Verb. Finish a task completely. "I finally got through this homework assignment"
Generic synonyms: Complete, Finish
Specialized synonyms: Cap Off
Definition of Mop up
1. Verb. To clean up with a mop; especially to clean up a spill or mess. ¹
2. Verb. (idiomatic) To fix problems; to correct or repair. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Mop Up Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mop Up Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mop Up
Literary usage of Mop up
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. "Welcome to Hell": Arbitrary Detention, Torture, and Extortion in Chechnya by Human Rights Watch, Johanna Bjorken, Human Rights Watch (Organization), Peter Bouckaert (2000)
"Arrests in the context of "mop-up" operations The standard Russian strategy to gain control of Chechen communities involved heavy bombardment, ..."
2. History of the 353rd Infantry Regiment, 89th Division, National Army by Charles Franklin Dienst (1921)
"(Company "C" continued on with the assaulting battalion to mop up ... after reaching the second objective. to turn to the left and mop up Mort Mare Woods. ..."
3. Capital (1888)
"MONEY AND BANKING RBI Is Trying to mop up Banks' Excess Liquidity By Our Banking Correspondent According to the Reserve Bank Governor, the excess liquidity ..."
4. History of the 107th Infantry, U.S.A. by Gerald F. Jacobson (1920)
"And in the meanwhile the Third British Corps on the left of the 27th Division had failed completely to mop up their part of the ground west of the canal. ..."
5. History of the 89th Division, U. S. A.: From Its Organization in 1917 by George H. English, War Society of the 89th Division (1920)
"It was therefore, determined to flank the position with the main forces at the disposal of the Brigade Commander and to mop up Mort Mare with detachments, ..."
6. Seventy-first New York in the World War by Robert Stewart Sutliffe (1922)
"One explanation of the failure to hold and consolidate the objective line is that the regiment did not completely mop up the territory covered by its ..."