Definition of Myanmar
1. Noun. A mountainous republic in southeastern Asia on the Bay of Bengal. "Much opium is grown in Myanmar"
Geographical relationships: Dacoity, Dakoity, Sino-tibetan, Sino-tibetan Language, Dacoit, Dakoit, Myanmar Monetary Unit
Group relationships: Asean, Association Of Southeast Asian Nations
Generic synonyms: Asian Country, Asian Nation
Terms within: Rangoon, Yangon, Mandalay, Mekong, Mekong River
Group relationships: Indochina, Indochinese Peninsula, Malay Peninsula
Member holonyms: Burmese
Definition of Myanmar
1. Proper noun. A country in Southeast Asia. Official name: Union of Myanmar. Also known as Burma (which was formerly the official name). ¹
2. Proper noun. The Sino-Tibetan official language of the country of Myanmar, also known as Burmese. ¹
3. Proper noun. Burmese language ¹
4. Proper noun. The script in which the Myanmar language is written. Also known as Burmese. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Myanmar
1. A republic of southeast asia, northwest of thailand, long familiar as burma. Its capital is yangon, formerly rangoon. Inhabited by people of mongolian stock and probably of tibetan origin, by the 3d century a.d. It was settled by hindus. The modern burmese state was founded in the 18th century but was in conflict with the british during the 19th century. Made a crown colony of great britain in 1937, it was granted independence in 1947. In 1989 it became myanmar. The name comes from myanma, meaning the strong, as applied to the burmese people themselves. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Myanmar
Literary usage of Myanmar
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. "My Gun was as Tall as Me": Child Soldiers in Burma by Kevin Heppner, Jo Becker (2002)
"We plan to publish a report on child recruitment in myanmar later this year ... 5) What is the current size of the myanmar Army? ..."
2. Nature's Strongholds: The World's Great Wildlife Reserves by Laura Riley, William Riley (2005)
"MARCO POLO VISITING myanmar IN THE 13TH CENTURY FOUND "VAST JUNGLES ... myanmar is rich in birdlife with an estimated 1000 resident and migratory species. ..."
3. Indivisible Human Rights: The Relationship of Political and Civil Rights to by Human Rights Watch (Organization, Human Rights Watch (Organization) (1992)
"32 Asia Watch,//u«a?i Rights in Burma (myanmar), May 1990 33 Far Eastern Economic Review, January 25, 1990. See also The Washington Post, February 18, ..."
4. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"BURMA (myanmar)1 Key developments since March 1999: Government forces and at ... Mine Ban Policy The military government of myanmar is known as the State ..."
5. Landmine Monitor Report 2002: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Human Rights Watch (Organization). (2002)
"Mine Ban Policy The military government of myanmar, the State Peace and Development ... myanmar has not participated in any mine ban meetings since 1999. ..."
6. OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises: Focus on Responsible Supply by OECD Staff, Oecd, (Paris) Organisation for Economic Co-ope (2002)
"The question of human rights violations in myanmar was raised by TUAC and at the NCP meeting and consultations. TUAC tabled a letter noting the June 2000 ..."