Definition of Nail down
1. Verb. Succeed in obtaining a position. "He nailed down a spot at Harvard"
Generic synonyms: Bring Home The Bacon, Come Through, Deliver The Goods, Succeed, Win
2. Verb. Define clearly. "I cannot narrow down the rules for this game"
Generic synonyms: Determine
Specialized synonyms: Concretize
Derivative terms: Specifier
3. Verb. Make final; put the last touches on; put into final form. "Let's finalize the proposal"
Generic synonyms: End, Terminate
Derivative terms: Finalisation, Finalization
Also: Settle On
Definition of Nail down
1. Verb. (transitive) to attach with nails ¹
2. Verb. (idiomatic transitive) to make something (e.g. a decision or plan) firm or certain ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Nail Down Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nail Down Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nail Down
Literary usage of Nail down
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Correspondence of the Rev. Robert Wodrow by Robert Wodrow (1843)
"PROPOSAL TO nail down PATRONAGE ON THE CHURCH. —PROFESSOR CAMPBELL'S PAMPHLET—GLASS AND-ARCHIBALD. To my Lord Grange. MY LORD,—I near your Lordships are to ..."
2. Aide-mémoire to the Military Sciences: Framed from Contributions of Officers by Great Britain Army. Royal Engineers (1860)
"Lay them on the roof, and nail down. J and К contain the roof boards. ... Put on the ridge cap, and then well nail down the roof fillets over ..."
3. Remarks on the legality and expediency of prosecutions for religious opinion by Jonathan Duncan (1825)
"marvellous tale of " a thing like a bee," forcing, vi et armis, a twopenny nail down the throat of Deborah Pacey. It is sufficient for our purpose to know, ..."
4. Taxidermy by Leon Luther Pray (1913)
"Draw the skin forward and spread forelegs and front end to widest extent and nail down in accurate line with hind part. Now work from side to side, ..."
5. The Care of the Hand: A Practical Text-book on Manicuring and the Care of by William A. Woodbury (1915)
"File the nail down to its proper shape and length, remembering the law pertaining to styles peculiar to individual hands. Do not file the nail too short. ..."
6. The Railway Goods Station: A Guide to Its Control and Operation by Fred. W. West (1912)
"nail down the scotches. Boilers of Large Dimensions. (28) When dimensions do not ... nail down the scotches. Gas Stoves, Ranges, Grates, and Castings. ..."
7. The Gospel standard, or Feeble Christian's support (1878)
"When he desired the man to nail down the hatches, I thought that my sin was the ... I recovered just as the people were about to nail down the hatches; ..."