Definition of Neogene
1. Adjective. (geology) Of a geologic period within the Cenozoic era; comprises the Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene and Holocene epochs from about 26 million years ago to the present. ¹
2. Proper noun. (geology) The Neogene period. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Neogene
1. of or pertaining to a certain geologic time period [adj]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Neogene Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Neogene
Literary usage of Neogene
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Student's Handbook of Stratigraphical Geology by Alfred John Jukes-Browne (1902)
"458, the name neogene will be adopted for this system, and it will be regarded as including the three groups or series which were termed Miocene, Pliocene, ..."
2. Fossil Elephantoids: from the Hominid-Bearing Awash Group, Middle Awash by Jon Kalb (2007)
"... APPENDIX Phylogenetic Systematics of Late neogene Afro-Eurasian ... (1992a) of late neogene African and Eurasian ..."
3. The Student's Lyell: A Manual of Elementary Geology by Charles Lyell, John Wesley Judd (1896)
"... been united as characterising one great period of the earth's history called by the Vienna geologists the ' neogene,' and by the American geologists the ..."
4. Text Book of Comparative Geology by Emanuel Kayser (1893)
"True apes do not occur till neogene times. ... NEWER TERTIARY OR neogene. 1 MIOCENE. The distribution of the sea during the Miocene period was very ..."
5. A Comprehensive Geology by Amadeus William Grabau (1921)
"... ASIA, AND AFRICA The neogene includes the Miocene and Pliocene deposits. The period opened with the formation of the principal mountain ranges of modern ..."
6. A Classified Index to the Transactions, Proceedings and Quarterly Journal of by Geological Society of London, George Wareing Ormerod (1870)
"On the Geology of some parts of Bohemia. 5. tt. 385; 2. p. 437. . On the neogene-tertiary Strata of Western Sclavonia. ..."
7. Oil and Gas Reserves of the Fergana Region, Uzbekistan, Tadzhikistan, and (1994)
"neogene (Miocene-Pliocene) System Tectonic movements during neogene (Miocene- Pliocene) time, ... In the lower part of the neogene section is the ..."