Definition of Neuropteron
1. Noun. Insect having biting mouthparts and four large membranous wings with netlike veins.
Generic synonyms: Insect
Group relationships: Neuroptera, Order Neuroptera
Specialized synonyms: Ant Lion, Antlion, Antlion Fly, Lacewing, Lacewing Fly, Corydalus Cornutus, Dobson, Dobson Fly, Dobsonfly, Fish Fly, Fish-fly, Alder Fly, Alderfly, Sialis Lutaria, Snakefly, Mantispid, Spongefly, Spongillafly
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Neuropteron Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Neuropteron
Literary usage of Neuropteron
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1916)
"The neuropteron line of descent not only approaches that of the Plecoptera but also ... since it would be necessary to draw the neuropteron line in a plane ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1902)
"This relation is readily made out in the large and familiar neuropteron called the "dobson fly," or " hellgrammite," Corydalis ..."
3. The Popular Science Monthly (1885)
"Sometimes somebody does come in the shape of another ant—the real ant this time, not the defenseless neuropteron, but some valiant and belted knight from ..."
4. The Popular Science Monthly by Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) (1885)
"... real ant this time, not the defenseless neuropteron, but some valiant and belted knight from the warlike ..."