Definition of Ninth of av
1. Noun. (Judaism) a major fast day on the Jewish calendar commemorating the destruction of the temples in Jerusalem.
Category relationships: Judaism
Generic synonyms: Major Fast Day, Jewish Holy Day
Ninth Of Av Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ninth Of Av Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ninth Of Av
Literary usage of Ninth of av
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Testimony of Jesus Christ by Anthony Charles Garland (2007)
"The next four events occurring on the Ninth of Av all relate to the Temple. The second and third disasters involve Solomon's first Temple and Herod's second ..."
2. The Yalkut on Zechariah [by Simeon Darshan] tr., with notes, by E.G. King by Simeon Darshan (1882)
"The case of the Ninth of Av is quite different : for on that day troubles were doubled (and doubled again) : for my lord says that on the Ninth of Av the ..."
3. The Jerusalem Question, 1917-1968 by H. Eugene Bovis (1971)
"Even during the period of the Roman Emperor Hadrian, when Jews were not allowed to reside in Jerusalem, they were allowed on the feast of the Ninth of Av ..."
4. Rabbi David Kimchi's Commentary Upon the Prophecies of Zechariah by David Kimhi, Alexander McCaul (1837)
"The reason why the, Jews fast on this day are thus given by Maimonides : —" On the ninth of Av, five things happened. 1st. The decree went forth in the ..."
5. The Pentateuch According to the Talmud: Genesis: with a Talmudical Commentary by Paul Isaac Hershon, Henry Donald Maurice Spence-Jones (1883)
"If the ninth of Av (the anniversary of the destruction of the Temple, and one of the strictest fast days) falls on the Sabbath, the table may be spread like ..."
6. The British Jews by John Mills (1853)
"... the ninth of Av. It has been instituted to commemorate the destruction of the first and second Temples, which, we are told, took place on the very same ..."