Definition of Nipple shield
1. Noun. A rubber or plastic shield to protect the nipples of nursing women.
Medical Definition of Nipple shield
1. A cap or dome placed over the nipple to protect it during nursing. (05 Mar 2000)
Nipple Shield Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nipple Shield Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nipple Shield
Literary usage of Nipple shield
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics by The American College of Surgeons, Franklin H. Martin Memorial Foundation (1921)
"Other clinics: 21 per cent use nothing; 28 per cent nipple shield (glass) ... Other clinics: 60 per cent use nipple shield and compound tincture of benzoin ..."
2. Obstetrics, Normal and Operative by George Peaslee Shears (1916)
"Nil,ple shield. the use of the glass and rubber nipple shield, thus Best kind- removing the cause of the trouble at once. The shield should be kept clean, ..."
3. A Text-book of practical therapeutics: With Especial Reference to the by Hobart Amory Hare (1894)
"Sometimes it is necessary to use a breast-pump or nipple-shield before a cure can be effected. Whenever the nipples become sore, so that it is impossible ..."
4. Transactions of the Obstetrical Society of London: Vol. I-XLIX, for the Year by Obstetrical Society of London (1863)
"... for Mr. Francis Taylor, of Romsey, A NIPPLE-SHIELD. Mr. Taylor had forwarded the instrument in question for inspection by the Fellows of the Society, ..."