Definition of Northern dewberry
1. Noun. Of eastern North America.
Terms within: Dewberry
Generic synonyms: Dewberry, Dewberry Bush, Running Blackberry
Northern Dewberry Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Northern Dewberry Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Northern Dewberry
Literary usage of Northern dewberry
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Sketch of the Evolution of Our Native Fruits by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1898)
"The northern dewberry is a very variable species. In any locality where it grows in abundance a number of unlike forms may usually be found. ..."
2. American Horticultural Manual by Joseph L. Budd, Niels Ebbesen Hansen (1908)
"The most important of the four species is the northern dewberry (Rubus villosus). This seems nearly allied to the cultivated blackberries, ..."
3. The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania: Annotated Checklist and Atlas by Ann Fowler Rhoads, William M. Klein (1993)
"... Bailey pro parte WK Rubus flagellaris Willd. sensu lato Prickly dewberry; northern dewberry Woody vine Rocky or shaly slopes, cliffs and fields. ..."
4. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1903)
"Then Dr. Bailey, while studying American berries in European collections, discovered that R. canadensis, L. was not our northern dewberry as everybody had ..."