Definition of Odontaspis
1. Noun. Type and sole genus of Carchariidae: sand sharks.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Carchariidae, Family Carchariidae, Family Odontaspididae, Odontaspididae
Member holonyms: Carcharias Taurus, Odontaspis Taurus, Sand Shark, Sand Tiger
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Odontaspis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Odontaspis
Literary usage of Odontaspis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1870)
"From the Collection of the Zoological Society. 14. odontaspis. ... 328. ip 224; or Dekay, Neto York Faun. fish. p. 361. odontaspis taurus ..."
2. Geological Magazine by Henry Woodward (1891)
"It thus affords another instance of the striking similarity existing between the latest Mesozoic and the earliest Tertiary fish-remains. odontaspis ..."
3. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"odontaspis and its relatives of the same genus are numerous, from the Cretaceous onward, ... odontaspis taurus is a similar form in the Mediterranean. ..."
4. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association by Geologists' Association (1900)
"GENUS odontaspis. In this genus all except a few hindermost teeth exhibit a high, ... At least four species are known from the English Eocene. r. odontaspis ..."
5. Maryland Geological Survey by Maryland Geological Survey (1901)
"odontaspis elegans Clark, 1896. Bull. 141, US Geol. Survey, p. 62. ... instrumental in reconstructing the dentition of this and other species of odontaspis. ..."
6. Transactions of the Geological Society of London by Geological Society of London (1856)
"It belongs without doubt to the genus odontaspis, and is very nearly allied to ... In the form of the central cone they agree very closely with odontaspis ..."