Definition of Oktoberfest
1. Noun. A strong lager made originally in Germany for the Oktoberfest celebration; sweet and copper-colored.
2. Noun. An autumn festival that involves merrymaking and drinking beer.
Geographical relationships: Deutschland, Federal Republic Of Germany, Frg, Germany
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Oktoberfest Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oktoberfest
Literary usage of Oktoberfest
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Adventure Guide to Germany by Henk Bekker (2005)
"oktoberfest Munich is world famous for the largest festival in the world — the annual 16-day oktoberfest — actually held mostly in September and ending the ..."
2. Among Bavarian Inns: Being an Account of Little Journeys to the Bavarian by Frank Roy Fraprie (1906)
"... CHAPTER Ix MUNICH AUER DULT AND oktoberfest WHEN we returned to Munich, the university was already opening for the winter semester. ..."
3. Munich by Dan Colwell (2001)
"oktoberfest The oktoberfest dates back to the marriage in October 1810 of ... On the second Saturday, a concert of all the oktoberfest bands is held at the ..."
4. Cincinnati, OH: A Photographic Portrait by William manning (2007)
"Over 500000 people travel from near and far to attend oktoberfest, ... oktoberfest in Cincinnati holds the Guinness Booh world record for the largest group ..."
5. Columbus, Ohio: Photographic Portrait by Randall Lee Schieber (2007)
"Held at the tip of German Village proper, the traditional oktoberfest is a plethora of native foods, shops, and music, with over sixty bands performing. ..."
6. Zeitschriften Der Romantikby Heinrich Hubert Houben, Oskar Franz Walzel by Heinrich Hubert Houben, Oskar Franz Walzel (1904)
"oktoberfest in München 1829. [Baiern If.: Freie Presse 2; ... 15; Schrift von Carl Müller, Das oktoberfest, Probe daraus 16t'.; König Maximilian 18f. ..."
7. Adventure Guide to the Alps by Krista Dana (2004)
"UPCOMING oktoberfest DATES The festival runs each year for 16 days, always ending on the first Sunday in October: 2004 18 September-3 October 2005 17 ..."
8. Orlando & Central Florida by Don Philpott (1999)
"Melbourne oktoberfest (3rd weekend). Brevard County Fair, Cocoa (2nd and 3rd weekends). Space Coast Art Festival, Cocoa Beach (Thanksgiving weekend). ..."