Definition of Old testament
1. Noun. The collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible.
Group relationships: Bible, Book, Christian Bible, Good Book, Holy Scripture, Holy Writ, Scripture, Word, Word Of God
Terms within: Book Of Genesis, Genesis, Book Of Exodus, Exodus, Book Of Leviticus, Leviticus, Book Of Numbers, Numbers, Book Of Joshua, Joshua, Josue, Book Of Judges, Judges, Book Of Ruth, Ruth, 1 Samuel, I Samuel, 2 Samuel, Ii Samuel, 1 Kings, I Kings, 2 Kings, Ii Kings, 1 Chronicles, I Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ii Chronicles, Book Of Ezra, Ezra, Book Of Nehemiah, Nehemiah, Book Of Esther, Esther, Book Of Job, Job, Book Of Psalms, Psalms, Book Of Proverbs, Proverbs, Book Of Ecclesiastes, Ecclesiastes, Canticle Of Canticles, Canticles, Song Of Solomon, Song Of Songs, Book Of Isaiah, Isaiah, Book Of Jeremiah, Jeremiah, Book Of Lamentations, Lamentations, Book Of Ezekiel, Ezechiel, Ezekiel, Book Of Daniel, Book Of The Prophet Daniel, Daniel, Book Of Hosea, Hosea, Book Of Joel, Joel, Amos, Book Of Amos, Abdias, Book Of Obadiah, Obadiah, Book Of Jonah, Jonah, Book Of Micah, Micah, Micheas, Book Of Nahum, Nahum, Book Of Habakkuk, Habacuc, Habakkuk, Book Of Zephaniah, Sophonias, Zephaniah, Aggeus, Book Of Haggai, Haggai, Book Of Zachariah, Zacharias, Zechariah, Laws, Pentateuch, Torah, Apocrypha, Psalm
Specialized synonyms: Septuagint
Generic synonyms: Testament, Will
Definition of Old testament
1. Proper noun. The first major part of the Christian Bible, covering events before the coming of Christ, corresponding roughly to the Jewish Tanakh. Usually subdivided into the categories of law, history, poetry (or wisdom books) and prophecy. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Old Testament
Literary usage of Old testament
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1909)
"Complete Hebrew- English pocket-dictionary of the old testament. 75c. 'US. ... Fowler, H: T. Studies in the wisdom literature of the old testament. 60c; pa. ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"... 'The Origin of the Canon of the old testament' (Eng. trans., London 1895) ;_ Cornhill, CH, 'Introduction to the Canonical Books of the old testament' ..."
3. Catalogue by R. J. Charles Glover Library (1901)
"SENIOR COURSE The Poetical and Wisdom Literature of the old testament. Four hours a week, first term. The description of the Middle Year Course, ..."
4. Journal of Theological Studies (1900)
"THE JOURNAL OF THEOLOGICAL STUDIES CHRONICLE old testament. ... CANON of the Old Testament is by Dr. K. Budde, who gives us a sound piece of work. ..."
5. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"His Bible contains also the Chaldaic Targum of the Pentateuch and an interlinear Latin translation of the Greek old testament. The work is in six large ..."
6. The Quarterly Review by George Walter Prothero, John Gibson Lockhart, William Gifford, Sir John Taylor Coleridge, Whitwell Elwin, William Macpherson, Baron Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle, Sir William Smith (1907)
"Historical Criticism and the old testament. By Father JM Lagrange. ... The Problem of the old testament, considered with reference to recent ..."