Definition of Olea europaea
1. Noun. Evergreen tree cultivated in the Mediterranean region since antiquity and now elsewhere; has edible shiny black fruits.
Terms within: Olive, Olive
Group relationships: Genus Olea, Olea
Generic synonyms: Olive Tree
Olea Europaea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Olea Europaea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Olea Europaea
Literary usage of Olea europaea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Comparative Anatomy of the Vegetative Organs of the Phanerogams and Ferns by Anton Bary (1884)
"... Quillaja, olea europaea, and Populus pyramidalis. In these cases the fibres of each group are seldom radially arranged ; their arrangement as seen in ..."
2. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science : Containing a Concise by Robley Dunglison (1848)
"... the French surgeons, is a cautery whose extremity is terminated by a button having the shape of an olive. OLIVA, olea europaea. OLIVARIS, Olive-shaped. ..."
3. Vegetable Fats and Oils: Their Practical Preparation, Purification by Louis Edgar Andés, Charles Salter (1902)
"148 wild thorny kind (olea europaea var. sylvestris L. = 01ea Oleaster Link et ... and the cultivated thornless olive (olea europaea culta L. = Olea sativa ..."
4. Plant-geography Upon a Physiological Basis by Andreas Franz Wilhelm Schimper (1903)
"The olive-tree (olea europaea, Linn., Fig. 268), however, will always be mentioned. ... Above: a branch of olea europaea. Ravenna, Lake Como. ..."