Definition of Oliver hazard perry
1. Noun. United States commodore who led the fleet that defeated the British on Lake Erie during the War of 1812; brother of Matthew Calbraith Perry (1785-1819).
Oliver Hazard Perry Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Oliver Hazard Perry Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oliver Hazard Perry
Literary usage of Oliver hazard perry
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The National Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Americans: With Biographical ...by James Herring, James Barton Longacre by James Herring, James Barton Longacre (1854)
"oliver hazard perry was born at Newport in August, 1785. He was early destined for the navy by his father, then in the service of the United States. ..."
2. Nooks and Corners of the New England Coast by Samuel Adams Drake (1875)
"The marble tablet of the monument's east face has the words, oliver hazard perry. At the Age of Twenty-seven Years, He Achieved The Victory of Lake Erie, ..."
3. Naval Actions of the War of 1812 by James Barnes (1896)
"oliver hazard perry, the hero of Lake Erie, inherited from his father a fearless, high-strung disposition, and early in life showed his longing for ..."
4. Industrial Arts Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1914)
"See Buoys Belmont, oliver hazard perry, Ш8-1908 Revival of French Gothic architecture: a mausoleum after St. Hubert's chapel. ..."
5. Publications of the Buffalo Historical Society by Buffalo Historical Society (1915)
"The frontispiece of this volume shows the bronze statue of oliver hazard perry, erected late in 1915 at the Front, by the Perry Centennial Commission of New ..."
6. Memoirs of the Generals, Commodores, and Other Commanders, who Distinguished by Thomas Wyatt (1848)
"oliver hazard perry. THE hero of the following memoir was born in Newport, Rhode Island, ... oliver hazard perry."
7. Reminiscences and Memorials of Men of the Revolution and Their Families by Artemas Bowers Muzzey (1882)
"oliver hazard perry. CHRISTOPHER RAYMOND PERRY was born at South ... They had a son, oliver hazard perry, born in Newport, Rhode Island, August 25, 1785. ..."
8. Review of Historical Publications Relating to Canada by University of Toronto (1906)
"... oliver hazard perry and the War on the Lakes. By Olin L. Lyman. New York: New Amsterdam Book Company, 1905. Pp. 246. ..."