Definition of Onychophora
1. Noun. Enigmatic small elongated wormlike terrestrial invertebrates of damp dark habitats in warm regions; distinct from the phylum Annelida; resemble slugs with legs and are sometimes described as the missing link between arthropods and annelids.
Group relationships: Arthropoda, Phylum Arthropoda
Member holonyms: Onychophoran, Peripatus, Velvet Worm, Family Peripatidae, Peripatidae, Family Peripatopsidae, Peripatopsidae
Generic synonyms: Class
Definition of Onychophora
1. n. pl. Malacopoda.
Medical Definition of Onychophora
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Onychophora Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Onychophora
Literary usage of Onychophora
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Introduction to Entomology by John Henry Comstock (1920)
"With only three pairs of legs, and usually with wings in the adult state HEXAPODA CLASS onychophora The genus Peripatus of authors The members of this class ..."
2. Outlines of Zoology by John Arthur Thomson, Marion Isabel Newbigin (1906)
"... hence they are often united under the title Tracheata Antennata. First Class of Tracheata Antennata.—onychophora or ..."
3. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society by Cambridge Philosophical Society (1908)
"... A. Relation between the geographical distribution and the classification of the onychophora . ..."
4. A Manual of Zoology by Thomas Jeffery Parker, William Aitcheson Haswell (1905)
"onychophora "the class onychophora comprises only the aberrant genus Peripatus, which is interesting owing to certain primitive features which it presents ..."
5. An Introduction to the Study of Fossils (plants and Animals) by Hervey Woodburn Shimer (1914)
"CLASS B, onychophora This class includes the single genus Peripatus, mostly confined to the Southern Hemisphere. It looks much like a caterpillar and is a ..."
6. Text-book of the Embryology of Invertebrates by Eugen Korschelt, Karl Heider, Edward Laurens Mark, William McMichael Woodworth, Matilda Bernard, Martin Fountain Woodward (1899)
"onychophora (PERIPATUS). Structure of the Eggs and Nourishment of the Young by the Mother. ... onychophora ..."
7. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1873)
"Soc. Erlang. 1871, p. 82, Spitsbergen. onychophora. Peripatus quitensis, sp. n., ... onychophora ..."