Definition of Oral contraceptive
1. Noun. A contraceptive in the form of a pill containing estrogen and progestin to inhibit ovulation and so prevent conception.
Generic synonyms: Birth Control Device, Contraceptive, Contraceptive Device, Preventative, Preventive, Prophylactic Device
Specialized synonyms: Demulen, Enovid, Loestrin, Lo/ovral, Micronor, Modicon, Norinyl, Norlestrin, Nor-q-d, Ovocon, Ovral, Ovrette, Ovulen
Terms within: Lipo-lutin, Progesterone
Medical Definition of Oral contraceptive
1. Any orally effective preparation designed to prevent conception. (05 Mar 2000)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oral Contraceptive
Literary usage of Oral contraceptive
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story by Andrei Maylunas (2005)
"There was no association between oral contraceptive use and ulcerativa colitis (current ... Analyzing for duration of current oral contraceptive use or time ..."
2. Guide To Clinical Preventive Services by U. S. Preventive Services Task Force (1989)
"Benl V. Cardiovascular disease mortality trends and oral contraceptive use in ... oral contraceptive use and the risk of breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1986; ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"If the present climate and requirements had prevailed in 1955, oral contraceptive steroids would still be a laboratory curiosity in 1970. ..."
4. 5th Report Of The Joint National Committee On Detection, Evaluation, And by DIANE Publishing Company (2004)
"... usually within the normal range.76 Hypertension has been reported to be two to three times more common in women taking oral contraceptive pills for 5 ..."
5. Anabolic Steroid Abuse by Geraline C. Lin (1996)
"The occurrence of androgen-related tumors appears to be considerably higher than the rate of hepatic tumors associated with female oral contraceptive ..."
6. Health Consequences of Smoking: Cardiovascular Disease: A Report of the by DIANE Publishing Company, C. Everett Koop, M.D. (1995)
"oral contraceptive study. Mortality among oral contraceptive users. ... An interim report from the oral contraceptive Study of the Royal College of General ..."