Definition of Order insectivora
1. Noun. Shrews; moles; hedgehogs; tenrecs.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Eutheria, Subclass Eutheria
Member holonyms: Lipotyphla, Suborder Lipotyphla, Menotyphla, Suborder Menotyphla, Insectivore, Family Talpidae, Talpidae, Chrysochloridae, Family Chrysochloridae, Family Soricidae, Soricidae, Erinaceidae, Family Erinaceidae, Family Tenrecidae, Tenrecidae, Family Potamogalidae, Potamogalidae
Order Insectivora Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Order Insectivora Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Order Insectivora
Literary usage of Order insectivora
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. East African Mammals in the United States National Museum by Ned Hollister (1918)
"Part I consists of the reports on the insectivorous mammals (order insectivora), the bats (Order Chiroptera), and the carnivores (Order Carnivora). ..."
2. The Mammals of Colorado: An Account of the Several Species Found Within the by Edward Royal Warren (1910)
"order insectivora This order contains various families of small mammals, without much external resemblance to one another, and united to one another chiefly ..."
3. Transactions of the American Dental Association at Its ... Annual Session by American Dental Association (1898)
"Felis domestica (Common Cat, adult), New York. Felis domestica (Common Cat, young), New York. Felis leo (African Lion), Africa. order insectivora. ..."
4. The Cat: An Introduction to the Study of Backboned Animals, Especially Mammals by St. George Jackson Mivart (1900)
"... but that its progenitors (anterior to carnivores) were long-lost beasts of the order insectivora. It appears indeed to be probable that Insectivores and ..."