Definition of Order pelecaniformes
1. Noun. Pelicans; frigate birds; gannets; cormorants.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Aves, Class Aves
Member holonyms: Family Pelecanidae, Pelecanidae, Family Fregatidae, Fregatidae, Family Sulidae, Sulidae, Family Phalacrocoracidae, Phalacrocoracidae, Anhingidae, Family Anhingidae, Family Phaethontidae, Phaethontidae
Order Pelecaniformes Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Order Pelecaniformes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Order Pelecaniformes
Literary usage of Order pelecaniformes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1896)
"... Frigate Birds (Fregati), Pelicans, Cormorants, and Gannets—these are the groups of birds which constitute the large order Pelecaniformes. ..."
2. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1906)
"Order PELECANIFORMES. Phalacrocorax, notes on the New Zealand Cormorants and allied for on the nesting ; FINLAY, Condor vii, pp. ..."
3. British Central Africa: An Attempt to Give Some Account of a Portion of the by Harry Hamilton Johnston (1898)
"Tantalus ibis}; the Tantalus Stork. Order, PELECANIFORMES. PELICANS AND CORMORANTS. Phalacrocorax africanus; the small Cormorant. [ ? ..."
4. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Society of London (1901)
"217-222: M. castor, notes on ; id. tc pp. 207-217. Order PELECANIFORMES. Phalacrocorax lucidas, in Northern Rhodesia; SCLATER, P. Zool. Soc. ..."