Definition of Osteichthyes
1. Noun. A class of fish having a skeleton composed of bone in addition to cartilage.
Group relationships: Craniata, Subphylum Craniata, Subphylum Vertebrata, Vertebrata
Member holonyms: Bony Fish, Crossopterygii, Subclass Crossopterygii, Dipnoi, Subclass Dipnoi, Subclass Teleostei, Teleostei
Generic synonyms: Class
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Osteichthyes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Osteichthyes
Literary usage of Osteichthyes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report of the Annual Meeting (1892)
"By Professor GB HOWES, FLS, FZS On comparing the urino-genital organs of those osteichthyes having a non- abbreviated kidney with the same organs of the ..."
2. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences by New York Academy of Sciences (1916)
"... with the dermal plates of the shoulder-girdle of osteichthyes appear to the present ... and the pectoral plates of osteichthyes, but in view of the ..."
3. Migratory Fishes of South America: Biology, Fisheries and Conservation Status by Joachim Carolsfeld (2003)
"... and Schizodon borelli (osteichthyes) of the High River Parana. Revista Brasileira de Parasitologia Veterinaria, 3(2):143-148. Machado, MH, GC Pavanelli, ..."
4. Ecology and Conservation of the Marbled Murrelet by C. John Ralph (1997)
"osteichthyes were second, followed by gammarids and capelin (Mallotus villosus). A total of 13 different prey items were identified (table 2). ..."