Definition of Oversews
1. oversew [v] - See also: oversew
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oversews
Literary usage of Oversews
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Court of King's Bench by George Maule, William Selwyn, Great Britain Court of King's Bench (1815)
"... &c. it shall and may be lawful for the subsequent churchwardens and oversews, by warrant from any two or more justice*, to levy all such sums," &c. ..."
2. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Court of Queen's Bench, and by William Mawdesley Best, George James Philip Smith (1871)
"The QUEEN That question, notwithstanding what is reported to oversews of hare been said in The London and North Western Railway Company, appts., ..."
3. The American's Guide: : Comprising the Declaration of Independence, the (1843)
"... and the president and trustees, and the oversews of said college, shall have, hold, and enjoy their powers and privi- *P» in all respects : so that the ..."
4. Journal of Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of Delegates: Chosen to by Massachusetts Constitutional Convention (1821)
"That the Board of oversews, in the ejection of Ministers of Churches to be members ot'said Board, shall not be confined to Ministers of Churches of any ..."
5. A Narrative of a Visit to the Australian Colonies by James Backhouse (1843)
"... if provoked by an unreasonable Overseer, such as prisoner oversews often prove, so as to be induced to abscond, it may bring him to a Chain-gang, ..."
6. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Court of Queen's Bench, and by William Mawdesley Best, George James Philip Smith (1862)
"... not as being bound by virtue of any ecclesiastical de- oversews of pendence of the chapelry of Burmington on the vicarage of Wolford for its service, ..."
7. The County and Town Officer, Or, A Concise View of the Duties and Offices of by John Tappen (1816)
"... and if he shall not pay to the supervisor and oversews of the poor of his town the monies directed to be paid to him by his collection warrant, ..."