Definition of Pachycephala
1. Noun. Arboreal insectivorous birds.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Muscicapidae, Muscicapidae
Member holonyms: Thickhead, Whistler
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pachycephala Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pachycephala
Literary usage of Pachycephala
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1829)
"pachycephala Olivacea, Vigors and Horsfield. Above olive-green ; beneath yellowish ; head grayish ; throat white, ... pachycephala Fuliginosa, Vigors and ..."
2. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1877)
"Description of a supposed new species of pachycephala, from New Britain, proposed to be called— pachycephala ..."
3. The Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1877)
"Mr. EP RAMSAY, FLS, &c., read the following papers :— Description of a new species of pachycephala from Fiji, in the collection of Wm. Macleay, Esq., ..."
4. Catalogue of the Birds of the Tropical Islands of the Pacific Ocean by George Robert Gray (1859)
"pachycephala CHLORURUS. BM Very like P. gutturalis, Gould ; but the tail is ... pachycephala VITIENSIS. BM Like P. melanura, Gould, but with the back and ..."