Definition of Papua
1. Noun. The southeastern part of Papua New Guinea.
Group relationships: Independent State Of Papua New Guinea, Papua New Guinea
Derivative terms: Papuan
Definition of Papua
1. Proper noun. The southern part of what is now called Papua New Guinea, formerly administered as a separate territory to New Guinea. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Papua
Literary usage of Papua
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Australia by Peter Needham, Committee Development Assistance, Development Assistance Committee (1996)
"papua New Guinea's road network has expanded rapidly, but serious degradation has occurred due to low standards of original construction, poor drainage, ..."
2. The Journal of the Polynesian Society by Polynesian Society (N.Z.) (1915)
" Origin of the word papua. The question of the origin of this name for New Guinea has often been raised, and its application as a place-name to the ..."
3. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1886)
"Although the direct Dutch claims to the western half of papua might be considered to have lapsed, the Sultan of Tidore, a vassal of the Netherlands, ..."
4. Criminal Victimisation in the Developing World edited by Ugljesa Zvekic, Anna Alvazzi Del Frate (1996)
"5 Executive Secretary, The National Law, Order and Justice Council, Boroko, papua New Guinea. 6 Research Co-ordinator, UNICRI. 7 Research Officer, UNICRI. ..."
5. The American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1883)
"papua, or New Cuines, the largest island in the world, ... papua is less known to civilized man than any other region of equal extent on the earth. ..."
6. Bibliography of Hookworm Disease by International Health Board, Rockefeller Foundation (1922)
"papua, Annual report, 1914-1915, p. 154-158. 3179 WAITE, JH Preliminary report ... 3180 *WAITE, JH Report on hookworm infection survey of papua, from June 1 ..."