Definition of Parophrys
1. Noun. A genus of Soleidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Soleidae, Soleidae
Member holonyms: English Sole, Lemon Sole, Parophrys Vitulus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Parophrys Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Parophrys
Literary usage of Parophrys
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Explorations and Surveys: To Ascertain the Most Practicable and by United States War Dept, Joseph Henry, United States Army. Corps of Engineers, Spencer Fullerton Baird (1855)
"The spine which is observed at the anterior margin of the anal is a trait which occurs in other genera. parophrys VETULUS ..."
2. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1898)
"parophrys cornuta, Gunther, Cat. Fishes, IV, 455, 1862. One specimen, 5} inches long. Head 4* ; depth 2 ; eye 3. D. 75; A. 54. The upper prominence of the ..."
3. American Fishes: A Popular Treatise Upon the Game and Food Fishes of North by George Brown Goode, Theodore Gill (1903)
"parophrys vetulus : " Sole " of California. parophrys isolepis : " Sole " of California. ..."
4. A Check-list of the Fishes and Fishlike Vertebrates of North and Middle America by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1896)
"parophrys Girard. parophrys Girard, Proc. Ac. Nat. Sci. Phila. ... Puget Sound, probably northward to Alaska. parophrys ..."