Definition of Pastinaca sativa
1. Noun. A strong-scented plant cultivated for its edible root.
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
Group relationships: Genus Pastinaca, Pastinaca
Specialized synonyms: Cultivated Parsnip, Madnep, Wild Parsnip
Pastinaca Sativa Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pastinaca Sativa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pastinaca Sativa
Literary usage of Pastinaca sativa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Entomologist's Record and Journal of Variation by James William Tutt, Malcolm Burr (1890)
"The former, an addition to the island list, was found in two places on Pastinaca sativa; the latter occurred on its usual foodplant, in Lorden Copse, ..."
2. The Chemistry of Essential Oils and Artificial Perfumes by Ernest John Parry (1908)
"Oil from dry seed of pastinaca sativa L.—The bright yellow oil obtained in a yield of T47 per cent, had the following properties : d16<> 0-8736; a,, ..."
3. The Chemistry of Essential Oils and Artificial Perfumes by Ernest John Parry (1908)
"Oil from dry seed of pastinaca sativa L.—The bright yellow oil obtained in a yield of T47 per cent, ... Oil from the dry roots of pastinaca sativa ..."
4. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1886)
"pastinaca sativa—Non-Presence of a Poisonous Constituent.— Mr. Joseph T. Bennett records some experiments made with a view to determining the presence of a ..."
5. C.E. Hobbs' Botanical Hand-book: Of Common Local, English, Botanical and by Charles E. Hobbs (1876)
"Rt. esc. nut. ; Sd. and Tp. diu. see pastinaca sativa. Spikenard of the ancients, see Nardostachys ..."