Definition of Pelvic inflammatory disease
1. Noun. Inflammation of the female pelvic organs (especially the Fallopian tubes) caused by infection by any of several microorganisms (chiefly gonococci and chlamydia); symptoms are abdominal pain and fever and foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
Medical Definition of Pelvic inflammatory disease
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Literary usage of Pelvic inflammatory disease
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics by The American College of Surgeons, Franklin H. Martin Memorial Foundation (1915)
"Of these the clinical diagnosis in four is pelvic inflammatory disease, in one multiple myoma, with adnexal disease, in one relaxed vaginal outlet, ..."
2. Fertility, Family Planning, and Women's Health: New Data From the 1995 by Joyce C. Abma, A. Chandra, W. Mosher, L. Peterson (1998)
"pelvic inflammatory disease and Douching pelvic inflammatory disease, or PID, is caused by a variety of infectious agents. PID can cause recurrent pain, ..."
3. Gynecology by Brooke Melancthon Anspach (1921)
"pelvic inflammatory disease is a term which may be used to denote lesions of ... The exciting cause of pelvic inflammatory disease is bacterial infection; ..."
4. Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion & Disease Prevention by DIANE Publishing Company (2004)
"19.6 600 400 pelvic inflammatory disease hospitaliza- tion rate 311 200 250 1970 1975 1980 1985 1990 1995 2000 Year The 1990 objective to reduce the ..."
5. Gonorrhea in Women: Its Pathology, Symptomatology, Diagnosis, and Treatment by Charles Camblos Norris (1913)
"Gonorrheal pelvic inflammatory disease, unlike similar conditions produced by ... It must be remembered that most cases of pelvic inflammatory disease will ..."
6. Operative Gynecologic Laparoscopy: Principles and Techniques by Camran Nezhat (2000)
"Centers for Disease Control: pelvic inflammatory disease: Guidelines for prevention and ... Laparoscopic diagnosis of acute pelvic inflammatory disease. ..."
7. A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story by Andrei Maylunas (2005)
"These data suggest that oral contraceptives, the diaphragm and female sterilization protect against pelvic inflammatory disease and that ..."