Definition of Peritonsillar abscess
1. Noun. A painful pus filled inflammation of the tonsils and surrounding tissues; usually a complication of tonsillitis.
Medical Definition of Peritonsillar abscess
1. An abscess in the peritonsillar tissue extending into the tonsil capsule, resulting from suppuration of the tonsil. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Peritonsillar Abscess
Literary usage of Peritonsillar abscess
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Medical Record by George Frederick Shrady, Thomas Lathrop Stedman (1891)
"But the question which is of the most importance to us is why an attack of parenchymatous tonsillitis is repeatedly followed by peritonsillar abscess in ..."
2. Tonsils, Faucial Lingual, and Pharyngeal: With Some Account of the Posterior by Harry Aldrich Barnes (1914)
"Suppuration in the tonsil has quite generally been confounded with peritonsillar abscess and the symptoms of the two conditions described as similar or ..."
3. Monographic Medicine by Albion Walter Hewlett, Henry Leopold Elsner (1916)
"Suppurative Tonsillitis (Quinsy — peritonsillar abscess) This is a condition due to infection of the tonsils. Tt may involve only the tonsillar tissue ..."