Definition of Phalaenopsis
1. Noun. Genus of ornamental epiphytic orchids of Asia and Australia.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Moth Orchid, Moth Plant, Butterfly Plant, Phalaenopsis Amabilis
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phalaenopsis
Literary usage of Phalaenopsis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Goebel, Isaac Bayley Balfour (1905)
"phalaenopsis. I shall first of all speak shortly of the formation of the ... in the genus phalaenopsis. In Fig. 188 there are portions, in transverse ..."
2. New and rare beautiful-leaved plants by Shirley Hibberd, James Shirley Hibberd (1870)
"S. AN orchid house in which there are no promising specimens of this charming phalaenopsis, will be considered by the orchid amateur as sadly incomplete,, ..."
3. Greenhouse Management: A Manual for Florists and Flower Lovers on the by Levi Rawson Taft (1898)
"... phalaenopsis and other true epiphytes, peat is not necessary. It will generally be advisable to raise the plant two or three inches above the top of the ..."
4. American Gardening (1895)
"phalaenopsis are impatient of smoke; it is at all times advisable to remove them during the ... The shadier the Ferns the more genial to the phalaenopsis; ..."