Definition of Phasianus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Phasianidae: the typical pheasants.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Phasianidae, Phasianidae
Member holonyms: Pheasant, Phasianus Colchicus, Ring-necked Pheasant
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Phasianus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phasianus
Literary usage of Phasianus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1893)
"Hodgson, Esq. [P.]. Hybrid between T. temmincki and C. wallichi. See p. 276. Hybrid between Catreus wallichi and phasianus colchicus. a. J ad. sk. England. ..."
2. The natural history of gallinaceous birds by William Jardine, Andrew Crichton (1834)
"phasianus torquatus—TEMMINCK. PLATE XIII. ;'i collier; phasianus ... WITH this bird we enter the genus phasianus, as it is now restricted by modern ..."
3. Gallinaceous Birds by William Jardine, Andrew Crichton (1860)
"Faisan a collier; phasianus torquatus, Temminck, ... WITH this bird we enter the genus phasianus, as it is now restricted by modern ornithologists. ..."
4. Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences by Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences (1915)
"Distal extremity of the right tarso-metatarsus of phasianus alf- ... Distal end of right humerus, palmar aspect, of phasianus ..."
5. The Zoological Miscellany: Being Descriptions of New Or Interesting Animals by William Elford Leach (1815)
"phasianus Gallus var. a. Lath. Ind. Orn. 625. 1. INDIAN (•) PHEASANT. Feathers of the neck linear, elongate, spotted with white, black and fulvous, ..."
6. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"... as in the genus phasianus, the first primary is about equal to the eighth. The tail, however, in typical Pheasants is much longer than the wing, ..."