2. Verb. (present participle of pickle) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Pickling
1. pickle [v] - See also: pickle
Medical Definition of Pickling
1. In dentistry, the process of cleansing metallic surfaces of the products of oxidation and other impurities by immersion in acid. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pickling Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pickling
Literary usage of Pickling
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook of meat inspection by Robert Ostertag, Earley Vernon Wilcox (1907)
"The most common methods of preserving meat by means of chemical materials are those of salting and pickling. Moreover, the disinfecting agents, boric, ..."
2. Successful Canning and Preserving by Ola Powell (1917)
"CHAPTER XIV pickling THE preservation of food with salt or vinegar, either with or without the addition of spices or sugar, is commonly known as pickling. ..."
3. A Complete Treatise on the Electro-deposition of Metals: Comprising Electro by Georg Langbein (1909)
"When pickling is finished, the sheets which have served last as anodes, are taken from the ... With about 90 ampères and 4 v°lts per square meter, pickling, ..."
4. Text-book of Advanced Machine Work: Prepared for Students in Technical by Robert Henry Smith (1919)
"pickling and tumbling castings and forgings.—The hard scale and sand should be removed from ... See pickling, Principles of Machine Work. MEASURING WORK 27. ..."
5. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1899)
"The A merican methods of manufacture differ in manv respects from the practice in the older mills of Wales, owing to the utilization pickling. ..."
6. Handbook of Ship Calculations, Construction and Operation: A Book of by Charles Haynes Hughes (1917)
"pickling AND GALVANIZING pickling.—Steel plates as received from the mill have a scale which ... The scale is removed by pickling, the plate being stood on ..."
7. The Improved Housewife, Or, Book of Receipts: With Engravings for Marketing by A. L. Webster (1853)
"Directions for pickling. See No. 453. Take sharp cider vinegar for pickling, ... But for the best way of pickling cucumbers, see " Cucumbers. ..."