Definition of Pilary
1. Adjective. Covered with hairs especially fine soft ones.
Category relationships: Biological Science, Biology
Similar to: Haired, Hairy, Hirsute
Derivative terms: Pile, Pile
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pilary Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pilary
pilar tumour of scalp
pilary (current term)
Literary usage of Pilary
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Practical treatise on diseases of the skin: For the Use of Students and by James Nevins Hyde, Frank Hugh Montgomery (1897)
"This condition may be clue to arrested pilary development at birth, or to any cause interfering with the regular physiological process by which hairs are ..."
2. A Practical treatise on diseases of the skin for the use of students and by Oliver Samuel Ormsby (1921)
"Many men of advanced years are vigorous and have no loss of hair on the scalp, an abundant pilary growth, grayish and at times silvery white, covering the ..."
3. Edinburgh Medical Journal (1901)
"This is proved by the following observation. Cut short a group of hairs belonging to a small pilary system, a certain number fail to grow again even in the ..."
4. Skin and Venereal Diseases (1918)
"... activities of the pilary system—is a fascinating one, difficult to explore, but full of possibilities. It is one that dermatologists should survey more ..."
5. The Veterinary Record, and Transactions of the Veterinary Medical Association by Veterinary Medical Association (1845)
"Mr. Read's opinions in all respects deserve attention ; but he says that the hair of pilary tumours is always white—a remark which does not exactly accord ..."