¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Pileum
1. the top of a bird's head [n -LEA]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pileum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pileum
Literary usage of Pileum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"Adults pale gray above with black pileum, under parts immaculate ... Enti *v pileum, including upper half of lores and auricular region and part of ..."
2. Bulletin by United States National Museum (1914)
"pileum uniform chestnut, strongly contrasted with the gray of hindneck and tides of ... pileum distinctly chestnut only on forehead, the hindneck brown, ..."
3. Bulletin by United States National Museum (1911)
"Adult females with pileum dull bronze-greenish or dusky, under parts grayish, lateral rectrices ... pileum metallic violet, throat metallic emerald green. ..."
4. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1905)
"Under parts lighter, more olivaceous; pileum and jugulum more distinctly ... Under parts darker, more rufescent; pileum and . jugulum less distinctly ..."
5. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1891)
"Green, underneath paler, yellowish along the middle of the underparts ; pileum blue ; cheeks and edge of the forehead reddish grey ; throat whitish, ..."
6. Social Life at the English Universities in the Eighteenth Century by Christopher Wordsworth (1874)
"... juxta exemplar gerant, et pileum quadratum sine apice. Studentes in Jure Civili, nondum graduati, ..."