Definition of Pilosella
1. Noun. Genus of hairy perennial herbs with horizontal rhizomes and leafy or underground stolons; Eurasia and North Africa; often considered congeneric with Hieracium.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Aster Family, Asteraceae, Compositae, Family Asteraceae, Family Compositae
Member holonyms: Hawkweed, Hieracium Aurantiacum, Orange Hawkweed, Pilosella Aurantiaca
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pilosella Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pilosella
Literary usage of Pilosella
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society by Hawaiian Entomological Society (1906)
"... and M. pilosella.** The larvae have a row of 8 suctorial discs on the ventral side by which they cling to moist by the spray of waterfalls or by drops ..."
2. On Molecular and Microscopic Science by Mary Somerville (1869)
"... pilosella, a member of the naked- eyed group, is like an inverted watch-glass (fig. 112), less than an inch in diameter. • The roof of this umbrella is ..."
3. Torreya by Torrey Botanical Club (1907)
"The earliest use of the name pilosella for a group of Hieracium seems to be in 1542 by ... The following species of pilosella are found in North America ..."
4. Transactions of the Linnean Society of London by Linnean Society of London (1808)
"pilosella. Till. Ic. 14. On this figure a learned botanist of my acquaintance has chiefly rested his opinion of the plant now under consideration being H. ..."